- ORGANISATIONAL PROFILE
Head Office: 102 – 104 8th Avenue, Mayfair, Johannesburg.
Postal Address: Private Bag X9005, Crown Mines, 2025, RSA
Contact Person: Cathy Donaldson – email@example.com
Tel: 011 839 1793
- STATUTORY MANDATE
Blind SA is a national Disable People’s Organisation (DPO) of the blind and for the blind. Established in 1946 as the South African Blind Workers Organisation (SABWO) and became Blind SA in 2004.
- VISION STATEMENT
The vision of Blind SA is to do whatever is necessary or conducive to empower visually impaired people to become economically self-supporting and to live a full and meaningful life as citizens of South Africa.
Blind SA provides services that empower blind and partially sighted people directly and by training trainers that empower our beneficiaries. The main services are listed below:
- Advocacy, lobbying and self-representation.
- Awareness raising, information dissemination and distribution of information through various publications: Blind SA News, Braillorama, Braillorette, Braille Trumpet, Young Stoners and Parents Network.
- Assistive devices: white canes, liquid level indicators, Mali-Bhala, braille paper, Tatrapoint brailler and the Braille Me.
- Assistance for learners in special and mainstream schools and student’s registration with tertiary institutions.
- DAISY, audio and Braille production of literature in UBC (unified braille code) in all 11 official languages.
- Provision of study bursaries and loan facilities for the purchase of work and study related items.
- Training in accredited braille and orientation and mobility services and placement in skills training and placement in employment.